Restoration 101 – 10 – Tiles out, new kitchen in.

Progress 2Now the kitchen has been removed the old tiles had to be lifted. They were cracked  and we will replace all the floor coverings thoughout the house anyway. Guess who was given the job of lifting the tiles? Yep, yours truly! What a horrible job!!  Armed with spade, crow bar, ear muffs and some sort of jackhammer I was on to it!  Dust, noise, tiles flying everywhere (out the window as I tossed them on to the trailer)…

Lifting tiles.
Lifting tiles.

And when I had had enough of the noise and dust there was still gib to be removed from small spaces, more to be fitted on the ceiling, a couple of windows to be inserted and the space created from the removal of the old kitchen to be filled.

And yet another tool for me!
And yet another tool for me!

Eventually we were ready for the new kitchen…a bit of a mission getting it up one floor but the wide windows proved very beneficial!

Kitchen windows going in.
Kitchen windows going in.

It was all installed in one day ready for the electrical and plumbing the following. Then it was a matter of unpacking and arranging my cupboards and pantry.  It was like Christmas being able to remove things from boxes that have been stored for a year or more. So many cupboards… so much space!

New kitchen.
New kitchen.
New kitchen.
New kitchen.
New kitchen.
New kitchen.

And the placing of weatherboards outside on the new wall was completed… we’re ready for a break!

New weatherboards.
New weatherboards.

Restoration 101 – 8 – Heating

It seem that we had a bit of a break from renovations over the summer months. The house was perfectly liveable although the kitchen was a very annoying feature.  We spent much time considering new kitchens and planned to have one custom-made and installed later in the year. A holiday away from all the unfinished projects brought renewed inspiration and many visitors were very happy to put up with so many imperfections and gib still falling off walls!

But the time was approaching when we needed to make a decision regarding heating.  We had huddled through a spring with no heating (the previous heat pump was too damaged in the earthquake so we removed that before moving in). After much deliberation and many changes of plans, we agreed on the type and placement of heater. Now, Jim and I both love wood burners, and Jim believes he had found a way that would have allowed us (Council Consent required) to install one.  But neither of us are spring chickens, we were both working full time and we have, as I have previously mentioned, a spiral staircase to negotiate before entering the main living area. To arrive home at 5 pm on a cold, dark winter evening and have to set and light a fire plus bring in firewood brought the sensible side out in us! We agreed on a gas fire, turned on with the push of a button and complete with flames for the ambiance.

Stage one. Note cupboard behind fire.
Stage one. Note cupboard behind fire.

So in March (autumn here in NZ) hubby and grandson built the frame for the gas fire complete with TV and recorder/DVD/whatever box above. As can be seen in the photo we put these items in a corner of the lounge to allow the least possible intrusion into the room.  There is a cupboard that is now tucked away in the back of the corner – I placed some current newspapers and magazines in there for posterity before it was sealed off! And, of course, the heater was installed by a qualified installer!

Next step complete as we now have heating and a TV that doesn’t take the focus of the whole room or block any of the view.

Wall is complete and useable for now.
Wall is complete and appliances are useable.