Road to Recovery – a journal of personal experience 9

Oh, the joy of being home!  Our deck was complete so I could sit on our new deck chairs (well, one of them!) and soak up the sun and the view.   IMG_6519Being Easter Weekend, Jim was home to care for me – this meant 24/7 care! He needed to follow me up the seven steps to the toilet and lead the way back down – every hour on the hour as I was still regaining bladder control. He had to “stand guard” in the shower to ensure I didn’t slip and then dry me and help clothe me.  He prepared meals and cleaned up afterwards. He brought me a hot drink in the middle of the night if I couldn’t sleep and walked ever so slowly with me for the prescribed ten minutes each day.  He didn’t utter one word of frustration during any “fuzzy brain” episodes but encouraged me to rest and enjoy the view (probably so he could also rest and read!)

After three nights sleeping downstairs I decided I wanted to sleep in my room in the “loft” – so much brighter and with clothes on hand. Jim built a platform to fit into the sunken shower/bath so I didn’t need to return to the guest bathroom and the shower stool downstairs.

In the following five weeks I have had friends and family come to stay and visit who cooked and cleaned and took me for walks – mostly along the nearby Sumner Esplanade. Initially, I wasn’t able to stand or concentrate for long enough to even prepare or cook a meal. I often didn’t sleep well at night but found it easy to fall asleep for an hour or so during my rest time through the day. As my brain cleared of drugs I was able to finish reading my book and reply to emails.

Which reminds me of my first text replies I sent while still in hospital… When Jim eventually brought me my cell phone I thought I’d check any texts and messages.  There weren’t many but one, in particular, I thought I should reply to – but my fingers couldn’t find the right keys. I became quite frustrated and just hit the “Send” button anyway.  The reply, not surprisingly,…. “Huh??”

The weeks, as they tend to do, have since flown by. I am now doing most household tasks; my “brain fuzz” has cleared and I am gaining strength. I still get tired but do manage to sleep okay most nights. I have watched so many episodes of Downton Abbey (one or two a day) that I feel I am part of the Crawley family! I have looked into my family heritage but that becomes frustrating with many “road blocks”(not a unique problem!).  Now that I will very soon have finished this blog I must decide what to concentrate on writing next while I am still in recuperation.

I have had explanations of what caused my extra stay in hospital and into “the land of Nod” but none are totally satisfying.  I do recall being greeted with, as a new nurse or staff member came to discuss my case, “You’ve certainly been on a journey, but you’re looking quite well now.” Food for thought as I questioned each speaker on the specifics of my “journey”!

However, that is history. I came through my journey with the help of much prayer and an ever-faithful God and I now look forward to returning to my previous life-style with more energy and passion than I was capable of three months ago. I am ever so grateful to friends, family and hospital staff and the medical profession. I may never know exactly why my operation wasn’t the straight-forward procedure I was prepared for but I do know that it was a great God who brought me through it!