Road to Recovery – a diary of personal experience 4

After eight days of sedation I left those dreams behind.  I remember thinking “When is a nurse going to shine a light in my eyes and say, ‘Judy, wake up… Judy, Judy, can you hear me? You can wake up now.’?”

(Of course, what exactly happened next and the words spoken I cannot recount accurately…)

When I saw the light I was so pleased to respond and come out of the “Land of Nod”. I heard another voice (a male one this time) saying, “Audrey, squeeze my hand… Audrey, can you squeeze my hand?” I thought I was but it must have been so weak the owner of the voice didn’t feel it. And my daughter responded by saying, “She’s called Judy! She’ll jump out of bed and bop you one if you call her Audrey!” (Audrey is my first name on legal/official documents but has never been a name I have been addressed by.)

And then what did I see when I managed to open my eyes? My daughter standing toward the end of my bed with  beautiful smile on her face. “Hello, Mum. You can wake up now. I love you….. Look! she opened her eyes…. she’s smiling at me!” Oh, what a wonderful sight she was! I heard other voices – my son’s amongst them, and I could feel his hand in mine.

Again someone said, “Audrey, can you hear me? Squeeze my hand.”

“She’s not Audrey, she’s Judy!”  This was repeated so many times over the next few days – even after some handsome young doctor thought to write in big, bold letters ‘Judy’ across the top of my notes.

My daughter, Kyla, had flown down from Palmerston North to be with me. Just an overnight trip, so it was wonderful for her to be there when I awoke.  She had kept an account of my progress on Facebook and asked for prayers along the way. I am so grateful to all the folk who responded so thoughtfully and with prayers.

I could feel several tubes and goodness-knows-what entering and exiting my body and I have to say, I hated the feeling! I obviously couldn’t see behind me but each of the tubes was, naturally, connected to a machine of some sort. Each machine was beeping and blinking away and there was a nurse seated behind a desk at the foot of my bed watching each machine “blink” and “beep” and noting changes and progress on a computer. I wondered what she was doing and why such careful attention to just me. I had never been in this situation before – in fact, I had only been in hospitals to visit others or to deliver my own babies. Definitely a strange new world in which I was helpless to do anything but lie still and observe.


One thought on “Road to Recovery – a diary of personal experience 4

Comments are closed.